Al first appeared in Theme 6-4 as a prisoner, but was playable starting with Theme 6-5. He has appeared as a playable character in every version and episode of the game released since his introduction, though he is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode Sakura Ninja, Al appears dressed in kendo garb. This was the first time he has appeared in costume in any game and completely new game sprites were created for this.
- Name: Al
- Known Aliases: Hal, Green Bird, Toucan Bird, Boomerang Bird
- Group Affiliation: The Flock
- Known Relatives: None
- Best Friends: Terence
Al has a short temper when it comes to egg theft and smuggled birds and, like most of the Flock, becomes easily enraged when eggs are discovered missing and rare birds caged up. Little is known about his personality and demeanor at this time. Even though he doesn't appear in as many of the Animated Shorts as some of the other Angry Birds do, (he only appears in the Summer Pignic Short Movie) he is shown in the video as a very cheerful but clumsy bird. This is shown during the entirety of the Animated Short which displays Al trying to enlist on the Angry Birds Army, in order to help defeat the Bad Piggies. However, Hal is denied enlistment in the Army after he accidentally knocks over the slingshot, causing the White Bird to be launched in the wrong direction. After this, he hops away sadly. After he leaves, the other birds fail the level, and Hal finds the Red and Blue birds near-unconscious upon his return. He eyes the slingshot and launches himself. He sails high over the Bad Piggies fort, much to the King Pig's amusement. As he nearly hits the ground- and two Bad Piggies- he opens his beak and flies back, retrieving the eggs and defeating the King Pig.
In the course of the battles with the Pigs, he has traveled to many different locations and environments, including the desert, underground caves and beaches. The Pigs never rest in their quest to steal eggs and the Flock often has to retrieve their eggs on holidays and special occasions. In one instance, the Pigs captured the entire Flock, including Hal, making it the second time he was captured by Pigs. Then Terence came and freed him and stopped the King Pig.
- Main article: Angry Birds Seasons
- Main article: Angry Birds Rio
At an indeterminate time later, the Flock was captured as rare birds and taken to Rio de Janeiro where they fought with Blu and Jewel and their friends against Nigel and Mauro and his marmosets. Hal did not appear originally in Rio, but arrived much later after the others, so it is possible he was not kidnapped originally and made his way to Rio to help rescue The Flock.
- Main Article: Angry Birds Space
In another adventure, many of the Flock were whisked into Space via a wormhole, gained super powers and fought the Space King and the Space Pigs. Al has been left behind with Matilda and Stella on the island.
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Seasons
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Facebook
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV
- Angry Birds Telepizza
Advantages and DisadvantagesEditAl is very good against wood, glass and snow, but not great against stone. When his ability is used, it's often the longer (eventually a set time) the bird can break through entire columns of wood and glass. Another way to use the Hal is by firing it backwards and using it's ability to cause it to fly forwards.
Al flies farther and higher then all the other birds when fired.
A common disadvantage is when Al is fired straight into the air, it's hard to arc him perfectly when he approaches the ground. Sometimes he will hit the ground and become a corpse immediately when he goes out of range.
Another common disadvantage is when the ability is used too close to the structure, he will very quickly lose speed not long after the boomerang back and not even scratch the structure.
When it comes to Piglantis in Angry Birds Seasons , another disadvantage is that Al's ability is useless underwater because if his ability is used underwater, he won't be able to boomerang back and he'll automatically turn into a corspe really fast.
- Boomerang, Orange and Ice Bird are the only birds who first appeared kidnapped by the pigs, although Orange Bird was unententionally kidnapped.
- Boomerang Bird will make Chuck's pain noises when being a corpse, thus making it the only bird without an original pain noise.
- Boomerang Bird and Blu and Jewel are also the only birds to rotate when fired from the slingshot.
- Al has a different launch voice on Angry Birds Seasons as of the Ham'o'ween update. However, the PC and Mac version of Angry Birds Classic also has the alternative voice of the bird. The phone version of the original Angry Birds has the original select and launch voice.
- Al and the Ice Bird are the only Birds that are shown in the level before is played in as an unplayable item.
- On Chrome level 6-4 his corpse sprite disappears and is invisible, but when you unlock him, his corpse sprite will be the Angry Birds Rio sprite and he keeps the Yellow Bird pain noises but the feathers change from yellow ones to white ones.
- Al may be based upon the Emerald Toucanet.
- Boomerang Birds end their beaks with red in the old design, but in the game he has orangish yellow at the end of his beak.
- In Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Facebook, Angry Birds (Google Chrome), Angry Birds Vuela Tazos, Angry Birds Fuji TV, Angry Birds Telepizza, and Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio, Al has a new design.
- Even though his full beak is all orange, in the Summer Pignic Animated Short, the top part of his beak is yellow while the bottom section is orange just like in his old design.
- Except in the comics, this is the only bird that talked in the promotional videos (In Summer Pignic, he says "ba-bye!"). However, in the Ham'oween short, while trick-or-treating at Mighty's cave, the Blue Birds do say a word that sounds like "trick or treat!", but not the actual words.
- As shown in the Summer Pignic short, he is accident prone. This is only in the Summer Pignic short, as seen in the Angry Birds Coca-Cola short, he is an excellent swimmer, and can even boomerang back in the water.
- Whenever Boomerang Bird blinks, his eyebrows disappear. This only happens for his old design.
- In Piglantis, Al's ability doesn't work when he is underwater. The corpse will appear when the ability is activated.
- In the Angry Birds Heikki promonanal art on Angry Birds Facebook page, Al looks exactly like it's design in Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons, except the yellow ring on his beak is removed.
- Al is the only bird who got rescued twice.
- Terence and Al are the only 2 birds used for The Big Setup.
- Even though Al has green feathers, yellow ones appear when he disintegrates after becoming a corpse. In Angry Birds Chrome, Angry Birds Facebook and the 2012 updated version of the original game, green feathers appear (an earlier version of the Chrome version had white feathers).
- Strangely, in the Angry Birds Coca-Cola short, he can boomerang back in the water, but in Piglantis, when he is underwater, his power becomes useless.